Community Grants Program
Cumberland Community Foundation does not have an open grant cycle in progress. However, we are pleased to provide the information below for future reference.
Summary of Community Grants Program
Since 1980, many donors have created their legacy through endowments at Cumberland Community Foundation. Many of these endowments are unrestricted or broadly defined to support a field-of-interest. These endowments support the greatest needs and opportunities in our community each year at the discretion of the board of directors.
Grant applications are available from Field-of Interest Endowment Funds for:
- Historic Preservation
- Women and Girls
- Quality of Life for Low Income Families
Grant applications are available from Unrestricted Endowment Funds for:
- Programs that will improve the quality of life in Cumberland County, NC
- Community-wide initiatives
- Projects that will leverage community resources for long term impact
- Innovative projects that will address community needs with long term solutions
- Multi-year requests
- Start-up organizations that do not duplicate local services, have a strong leadership team, detailed funding plan, and strong case statement
There is no grant cycle open right now. Information is provided as an example of past cycles.
2021 Community Grants Timeline:
March 2nd, 4th, 10th, and 15th - Grant seeker information meetings
March 15, 2021 - Application available online
May 3, 2021 - Application deadline
May 24- June 8 - Committees meet to determine allocations
June 17, 2021 - CCF board meets to approve grant recommendations
July 1, 2021 - Funds available
How to apply -
- Applications are submitted online. Preview Sample Application (click here).
- View this video about how to create an account: Foundant Log On Instructions, log on to Foundant to start the application. Opens March 15th.
- You must click in the Log On/Create Account (blue button in the top right corner) to start your application.
- If you still have questions after viewing the video and attending a Grantseekers Information Meeting, contact our staff at 910-483-4449.
Grant Seeker Information Sessions
This meeting is designed to help nonprofit organizations learn about funding opportunities, eligibility, and application guidelines. The meeting includes a demonstration of the online grant application. Organizations are not required to attend; however, attendance is recommended.
Sessions will be held on Zoom.
Registration is required. Select a day and time that work for your schedule and register by clicking on the date below.
Eligibility for Community Grants:
- Organizations must have met all reporting and communications requirements on previous Community Grants to be eligible to apply.
- Organizations must be located and provide services in Cumberland County, North Carolina.
- Organizations must qualify as tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) and 509(a)(1), (a)(2), or (a)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or be a qualified unit of government which includes Native American tribal governments.
- Organizations must not discriminate on the basis of age, race, national origin, ethnicity, gender, physical ability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or religious beliefs.
Not Eligible for Community Grants:
Community grants are not awarded for the following purposes:
- For re-granting purposes
- To sponsor an event or purchase tickets or tables
- For grants to individuals
- To cover deficit budgets
- For projects promoting political views
- For scholarships (Check the scholarship program page of CCF)
- To support individual faith organizations (Note: This restriction applies only to Community Grants from unrestricted and field-of-interest endowments. Donors frequently support their churches, synagogues, or temples through their own donor advised funds and designated endowment funds.)
- To organizations that did not comply with recent grant agreements, failed to acknowledge their previous grants properly, or have outstanding reports due to Cumberland Community Foundation
Priority for Community Grants will go to 501(c)3 charitable organizations with governing boards located in Cumberland County, NC that are managed according to the Principles & Practices for Nonprofit Excellence published by the NC Center for Nonprofits.